Do you want to join a mission-driven organization that makes a difference in the U.S. healthcare landscape?
ASTRO, the American Society for Radiation Oncology, is looking for an experienced fundraising professional with a passion for advancing cancer research to lead the development efforts for our foundation, The Radiation Oncology Institute (ROI).
The ROI is a nonprofit foundation working to heighten the critical role of radiation therapy in the treatment of cancer through research and education. Founded in 2006 by ASTRO, the ROI is an affiliated 501(c)(3) organization established to support research and education about the life-saving and quality-of-life benefits of radiation therapy. With the support of our generous donors, the ROI has funded $3.7 million in research in priority topic areas to improve outcomes for cancer patients and advance the field of radiation oncology.
This individual is responsible for developing and executing strategies to raise funds and manage donor relations to ensure the ROI has the resources necessary to fulfill its mission and meet its strategic priorities. Additionally, they will work closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors and volunteer leaders to execute comprehensive fundraising activities including an annual fund, major gifts, planned giving and corporate giving programs.
NOTE: The position is based in Arlington, VA at ASTRO's headquarters. The position is eligible for telework up to 2x/week after 6 months of successful employment. All employees must be fully vaccinated as a condition for employment.
Major responsibilities will include:
- In collaboration with the ROI Board of Directors and Development Committee develop and execute a five year and annual development plan.
- Manage the stewardship and fundraising efforts for all giving levels and respective donors (Founder's Circle, Annual Giving Circles, Legacy Circle, etc.).
- Build strong relationships with donors and prospective donors and actively develop giving pipeline of initial gifts, repeat gifts, and increased gifts.
- Research and manage lists of qualified prospects, develop and revise materials as needed.
- Develop and implement programs of recognition and engagement for donors.
- Manage an annual giving program (direct mail appeals, etc.) to meet projected revenue goals.
- Facilitate and arrange meetings for Foundation leadership with donors and prospective donors providing appropriate background information. Provide timely follow up on all outreach activities to secure funding.
- Draft and execute correspondence - acknowledgements, recruitment letters, and any other communications.
- Work with other departments to maintain files on fundraising activity as well as donor and foundation records ensuring the accuracy and efficacy of the donor database.
- Prepare fundraising reports and presentations for the Board and Executive Director as required and needed.
- Work with appropriate staff to develop needed collateral materials.
- Provide development content for the ROI newsletter, The Visionary.
- Update the donor sections of the ROI website.
- Serve as liaison to the ROI Development Committee and perform administrative duties including arranging meetings and conference calls, preparing meeting agendas, taking and distributing meeting minutes, etc.
Qualified Candidates will have:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- 5-7 years' experience in a professional fund-raising role. CFRE or ACFRE preferred.
- Prior association/foundation/medical specialty society experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Passion for our mission that translates into achievements.
- Experience working with high-level volunteers
- Experience in planned giving strategies and programs, with solid knowledge of fundraising/development practices, standards, and reporting, specifically in the area of major and planned giving.
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships.
- Experience with developing and presenting to Boards and others
- Experience working with corporate level executives and professionals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong strategic thinking skills.
- Exhibit a strong professional and positive demeanor with a high degree of initiative and ability to call on and engage high net worth prospects.
- Ability to work both independently with minimal supervision and collaboratively with all levels of individuals.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects and meet required deadlines.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite.
- Previous experience working with databases, an association management system such as Aptify preferred.
- Willingness to travel
General office. Some travel required up to 5% of time as needed.
This role might be right for you if
- You have a passion for organizing, coordinating and supporting others
- You are creative, imaginative and a team player
- You have a natural curiosity and self-motivated drive for continuous improvement and development of new skills
- You are not afraid to "roll up your sleeves" to get things done. You are a "do-er" and not just a "thinker".
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and multitask effectively; strong project management skills; can meet and manage multiple deadlines working both independently and on a team; highly detail-oriented
- Self-starter, self-motivated and able to work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to connect well with people and work in a collaborative manner
ASTRO offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package which includes:
- Flexible work arrangements including telework up to 2 days/week (after 6 months of employment)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance, majority company paid
- 401K with immediate company contribution
- 23 days of Paid Time Off annually
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Employer paid short and long term disability insurance and more
Please see our website ~~~ for more information about ASTRO.
We are an equal/affirmative action employer.